- Ways to Pay Your Tax Bill
Ways to Pay Your Tax Bill
Payments by Mail or 24-Hour Depository Box
- Include both copies of the tax bill
- Enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for a mailed receipt
- Include your telephone number in case of questions
- Make check payable to: City of South Milwaukee
- Be sure all escrow checks are properly endorsed
24-Hour Depository Box
The depository box is located on the wall of City Hall facing 15th Avenue, just north of the main doors. Avoid waiting in a long line and deposit your payment (checks only - no cash) anytime during regular business hours or after the office is closed. The box is opened and emptied daily, Monday through Friday.
For 2022 credit, tax payments must be deposited in box on or before December 31, 2022.
To be considered timely, payment must be received or postmarked by the U.S. Postal Service on or before the tax installment due date. Mail tax payments to:
City of South Milwaukee
PO Box 367
South Milwaukee, WI 53172
Payments at City Hall
The Treasurer’s office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4pm with the exception of holidays.
- Bring both copies of the tax bill with you. One copy is retained by the City Treasurer’s office and one copy will be receipted and returned to you for your records.
- Please have all checks made out ahead of time to help keep the lines moving.
- Make check payable to: City of South Milwaukee.
- If your escrow check exceeds the taxes due, a refund check will be mailed to you in approximately two to three weeks. For an immediate refund by check, you may pay your taxes at Tri-City National Bank in South Milwaukee, or contact your mortgage company to see if they will reissue your payment as two separate checks - one to the City of South Milwaukee for the total taxes due, and one to you for the difference.
- Please Note: We do not accept payment by debit or credit card at City Hall. You must use our service provider to pay online with a card. Visit the Online Payments page of our website.
Payments by Credit or Debit Card Online
Tax payments may be made using your credit or debit card, or eCheck through our service provider. A convenience fee will be charged. Visit our Online Payments page to pay online.
Our service provider will provide the total fee amount to be charged prior to your acceptance of the transaction, along with an emailed receipt.
Payments at the South Milwaukee Offices of Tri-City National Bank Through January 31, 2023 Only
- The tax bill must be paid in full (No installments or partial payments)
- You must bring both copies of the tax bill with you in order to pay at the bank. Do not use the drive-thru; you must go inside the bank.
- A refund check will be issued by Tri-City National Bank at the time of payment for escrow checks that exceed the taxes due. Refund checks are written to both parties listed on escrow check.
Tri-City South Milwaukee Office Locations
- Tri-City National Bank - 2115 10th Avenue
Payments at the South Milwaukee Office of BMO-Harris Bank Through January 31, 2023 Only
- The tax payment must be for the exact amount of the tax bill - no refunds for escrow overpayments per bank’s policy.
- You must bring both copies of the tax bill with you in order to pay at the bank.
- Do not use the drive-thru; you must go inside the bank to pay your tax bill. They also have limited staffing on Saturdays.
BMO-Harris South Milwaukee Office Location
- BMO Harris Bank - 1001 Marquette Avenue